Plant based mac n’ cheese - vegan, vegetarian, can be gluten free if used GF pasta
Plant Based Mac n’ Cheese
Plant-Based Mac n’ Cheese - Download Recipe
- 1½ cup potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 2½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Pasta of your choice
- Place the potato, carrot, onion, turmeric and garlic in a medium-sized pot, cover with 2 cups of water and simmer for 20 minutes, with the lid on.
- After 20 minutes, add the veggies (and the remaining liquid in the pot) to your blender.
- Drain the cashews (discard the water) and add the cashews to the blender, along with the nutritional yeast, salt, and the additional ½ cup of water.
- Blend until the sauce is creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package and then strain and rise with cold water to stop it from cooking. Return to the pot.
- Turn the heat to very low and pour as much cheesy sauce over the pasta as you like.
- Add black pepper and salt to taste.
Interested in learning more about nutrition and health? Call the Wellness Center at 719-255-4444 and schedule an appointment with one of our dietitians.